Family Day Weekend is nearly upon us, and it’s coming at just the right time! In the throws of a new year, life can get busy with work, school and extra-curricular activities picking up. Sometimes, during this time, it’s natural for family time and fun days out to go to the wayside! Luckily, the holiday Monday is coming just in time to reconnect with family and have some fun. Keep reading for a list of awesome activities the whole brood can take part in over the holiday weekend.
The City of New Westminster Family Day Festivities
This Family Day Weekend, on Monday, February 18th, the city of New Westminster is hosting the largest free family day event in the Lower Mainland! There will be countless activities taking place at both Anvil Centre and the River Market the whole family can enjoy! From face painting and crafts for the little ones, to Nintendo games and a photo booth for your older children, to vendors and shopping for the adults to enjoy! There will also be countless refreshment options, a science world display, and a magician doing tricks! Sounds like a barrel of fun that you won’t want to miss out on. This even takes place from 11-4 at Anvil Centre and River Market.
Drop-ins at Your Local Recreation Centres
This family day, why not make use of your local recreation centres? Perfect for families with kids of all ages, there are a plethora of activities being offered on both the Saturday and Sunday of Family Day weekend and the actual holiday! Here are just a few activities we recommend for the Monday:
- Free Family Day Ice Skating at Moody Park Arena: 12:30 – 3:00pm, 6:00-8:00pm.
- Swimming at Canada Games Pool: open 11:30am-8:30pm.
- Morning of Family Fun Activities (bouncy castle, indoor playland, crafts, etc) at Queensborough Community Centre: 9:30-11:30am.
- Family Fun Day at the Youth Centre: 11:00am – 2:00pm, all ages welcome for a cook out, cookies, crafts, open gym and more
For a full list of the awesome activities offered at your local community centres, check out this brochure put together by the city of New Westminster.
Treat the Whole Family to a Family Day Meal
Sometimes, taking your lovely (rambunctious?) kiddies out for a meal can be daunting, but on a holiday, it’s worth the effort to give them a special treat! Ease the stress by taking the whole bunch to one of the many family friendly restaurants in the area! Here are our picks for an awesome family day meal:
- Angelina’s Restaurant – yummy dutch style breakfast and lunch the whole family will love!
- Coming Home Cafe – a casual, welcoming place serving up awesome breakfast, brunch and lunch
- Amelia’s Breakfast – our reader’s top choice for breakfast joints in New West last March!
- Waffle House – because what kid doesn’t love a waffle as big as their head!
Lunch and Dinner:
- Burger Heaven – A definite crowd pleaser for the whole family!
- Taqueria Playa Mexicana – Tacos for you, quesadillas for the kids, smiles for all!
- The Old Spaghetti Factory – Has there ever been a more family friendly restaurant?!
Dessert Or Treats (It’s a holiday after all!)
- Anny’s Dairy Bar – what better way to spoil the littles in your life than a tasty soft serve treat?
- Belmont Cafe – a plethora of treats to choose from!
- Tre Galli Gelato Caffe – A variety of delicious gelato and other delights!
So there you have it New Westminster, an array of exciting activities to enjoy with the whole family next Monday. But really, it’s not about what you do, it’s about who you’re with! Have a happy Family Day!